[TR] TR3A Steering Wheel ALighnment

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Sun Nov 25 11:47:38 MST 2012

Either you or your alignment guy should start by measuring the adjusters on
the right and left to see if they are the same. B You want them to be the same
length so that the bump-steer on each side is the same.

Once that is sure, set the front alignment.

At this point, check the alignments of the actuators for the turn signal
cancellation. B If they are adjustable (not that any of the British cars I
have checked have adjustable ones, but I don't know TR3), adjust them now.
B If they are not adjustable, someone has messed with the steering train in
the past. B You will now need to open the clamp, and/or skip splines at the
steering box or whatever one does on a TR3 to change the relationship between
the steering box and the turn signals.

Now, without moving anything in the steering linkage, see if the wheel is
straight. B If not, move it on the splined shaft until it is close to
straight.

Normally, the alignment tech sets the steering wheel to center first, but most
cars have not been screwed up in this way as most cars have a
single-angle-fitting steering-wheel mount unlike the wherever-you-want setup
of britcars.

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
pethier at comcast.net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier