[TR] Transmission Lube

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Nov 22 10:31:39 MST 2012

> I am running an A-Type OD in a TR6 and
> regular tranny in a GT6.  Which is suitable?  MT90 or MTL?

The OD works on oil pressure, and using thinner oil will reduce the pressure
under some circumstances.  Might not be an issue, depending on how well your
unit holds pressure, but why take the chance?  Both Redline and Triumph (BL)
recommend 90 weight.  The TR6 box also has a known weakness in the thrust
washers, and the heavier oil may help protect them. Anyway, I use MT-90 in
all my street Triumphs and I'm very happy with it.

But the difference is not large (roughly the same as 30 weight motor oil to
40 weight) so it may actually make no difference at all.  If I were going
racing, I'd probably try the MTL (for very slightly less parasitic loss).

YMMV
-- Randall