[TR] Help with Ignition Hiccup

George Haynes ghaynestr4 at aol.com
Mon Nov 12 15:52:18 MST 2012

The car with the problem isn't a Triumph, but the best trouble-shooters are on
this list, so:

A 1952 MG-TD has a very random ignition miss.  Like once or twice every minute
or two.  Duration is not long enough to stall the engine, just make it lumpy,
briefly.

We have a tester connected between one ignition wire and its spark plug and
the little neon lamp skips along with the engine miss. So it's not a fuel
delivery problem, but float levels, air balance and richness are good.  As is
the fuel pump.

New: plugs, wires, rotor, cap, points, condenser and coil.  We eliminated the
ignition switch by jumping directly from the battery to the coil.  Timing set
correctly.  Mechanical advance working smoothly, as tested on distributor
machine.  Compression good in all cylinders and valves adjusted correctly.
When it's running, it runs great but...

Still, the occasional hiccup.  Someone suggested a defective generator, which
might be grounding intermittently, shorting the ignition system.  Is that
possible?
We have not disconnected the generator leads yet, but will try it.

Any other thoughts?

Many thanks.  We have already spent wayyy too much time diagnosing this
problem!

George Haynes