[TR] Value/restoration

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 07:28:16 MST 2012

On 11/3/12 8:27 PM, Gary Nafziger wrote:
> I tried to
> keep a very accurate count of hours spent but this can be somewhat flexible.
> I did not count time spent "sitting and thinking", reading up on procedures,
> thinking through problems or consulting with experts.  I came up with 1470
> hours.
>
> Adding up invoices came to a little over $15,000.
I was just the opposite when I rebuilt my TR3.  I purposely did not want
to know what this folly of mine was costing me.  Had I known I might
well have gone without fixing some stuff because the project had become
too expensive.  Or perhaps found ways to do some things more cheaply.

I had no idea what I was getting into and did my best to hide costs from
myself.  Even then the project almost didn't get finished if it were not
for my extreme tenacity and and absolute refusal to give up.

Since I had never done this kind of thing before I just assumed
important parts of the car would drop off when I first started driving
it, just because I didn't have much of a clue as to what I was doing.
As it was there was only 2 problems. A headlight rim fell off and I
drove over it when I first took it down the road and about a month or
two later I had front wheel bearing issues because I set them up per the
main part of the red book which was for front drum brake TRs and not to
a supplement page at the back of the manual which was for disc brake
cars.  It took me several months before I would trust that the car would
stay together if I put any stress on it under cornering.  I had a hard
time believing that I could take all the parts off a car and put parts
back on and have the thing actually work.

You ask about value.  After the perspiration (women don't sweat we
perspire), worry, anxiety and unknown lots of hours I put into my TR3 I
would be totally daft if I were to ever sell it.  If one day they decide
I was too infirm to drive I could always sit behind the wheel as it sat
in the garage and make put put noises as I try to remember throwing it
through winding mountain roads.

Of course everything I have is for sale.  The current price for my TR3
is a mint condition TR250 plus US$35,000. I might also consider a trade
of a DB4, XK120C or 250GTO plus cash for my 3.  I value my time,  blood,
perspiration  and tears highly.

TeriAnn