[TR] Topping off gear box and diff

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 09:22:34 MDT 2012

On Fri, Nov 2, 2012 at 8:01 PM,  <thenicholls at verizon.net> wrote:

> Is there really any risk with overfilling these two parts? If there is, I will make other arrangements.

IMO, yes.

Particularly in the diff an overfill may be too much for the seal in
the axle and you end up with gear oil on the brakes.  But even before
I had a lift I would fill the diff by crawling under the rear of the
car with all 4 on the floor.

In the case of the gearbox, you could fill a bit on the ramps, leave
the fill plug out, back down & let the excess drain then perhaps sneak
in there and insert the plug 9even if you had to drive up the ramps to
get to where you tighten it.  You do not want to run the engine with
that plug out though so someone will have to push you off the ramps.
The whole thing is easier with jackstands but I know some prefer
ramps.

Geo