[TR] So what IS a TR worth?

John Macartney flywheelcoventry1 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 17:29:11 MDT 2012

I'll put in a comment (or two) as well FWIW.

Obviously, the worth of any
item is really only what someone is prepared to pay for it.
The prices start
to climb as cars become rarer and more sought after.
Classic examples are TR5
against TR250.
Only 2000 odd 5's were made against 8000 odd 250's arguably
making the 5 the most sought after Triumph sports car in the UK - and the
prices are reflecting that, even when sold privately.
Equally, this list in
the past has commented on the escalation of 250 prices over the years. It's a
simple case of supply and demand. Turn off the supply, the price goes up and
that's a ploy that was exploited for years by Mercedes who intentionally ran
their lines below full capacity.
Seems to me that prices for TR's in the
US/Canada will always be lower than elsewhere because that's where the
majority went when new. Also applies to AH, Jaguar, MG. That said, cars being
sold in the UK are commanding utterly stupid prices for mediocrity, while
those with more money than sense are seemingly content to fork out $35k - $45k
for something that looks reasonable - and probably still needs work.
Bottom
line is if the buyer wants it and has the money and you're there with what
he/she wants to buy, chances are you could do quite well - but people have a
choice and many are preapared to wait a long,long time before they acquire
their heart's desire - and usually after a lot of haggling.
So the answer?
Price for maximum return on your car and be prepared to negotiate downwards -
slowly.

Jonmac