[TR] Brake Fluid?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu May 31 12:41:36 MDT 2012

> but if you ever need to paint that area in the
> future, you
> will have a really difficult time cleaning all the DOT 5 off the
> surface
> enough to keep the new paint from fisheyeing.

However, there are products available specifically to address this problem.
One such is PPG DX330 "Acryli-Clean", which is a solvent specifically
designed to remove silicone and silicone-bearing products (like the "hot
wax" available at many car washes).  Seems to work well for me.

Another problem that I have noticed is that it is easy to wind up with
microscopic drops of silicone floating around in the air.  You need either
really good ventilation, or to do the painting in an area away from where
you did the preparation.

I'm a big fan of DOT 5, been using it for many years in all my Triumphs.  It
has not totally eliminated all my hydraulic problems; but I do believe it
has greatly reduced them.  It is absolutely non-corrosive and actually helps
protect metal surfaces; while DOT 3/4 is actively corrosive if it doesn't
get changed on a regular basis (whether you drive the car or not).  With DOT
5, you'll never find a sight like this one:

http://goo.gl/rJXMw

-- Randall