[TR] Brake Fluid?

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Thu May 31 11:35:18 MDT 2012

"Synthetic" and DOT 5 are not the same thing.  There are "synthetic" DOT 4 brake fluids, notably Valvoline.  I can't imagine how a synthetic DOT 4 would harm a DOT 4 system, but I am open to education.

In perhaps the most idiotic decision in the history of bureaucracy, the DOT has created a designation of DOT 5.(something I can't remember)  which is NOT silicone and NOT compatible with silicone.

While Silicone does not take on water, it surely takes on air bubbles.  Not going there with my Elise.  Currently using ATE Blue.  My appliance cars are on DOT 4.  I really don't care whether it is GT/LMA, ATE Blue or Valvoline Synthetic.

uncle jack the Stag was put together by ISOA to run DOT 5 silicone.  I have labeled the reservoirs thus.  No reason to change that.  The non-paint-eating is good, and so far I have not had air problems on a car that I don't drive competitively.

1973 Triumph Stag LE22439UBW "uncle jack", Sapphire Blue
2004 Suburban 8.1, Sport Red, the only automatic of the bunch
2005 Lotus Elise, Bordeaux Red Pearl
2007 Saturn Ion 3 2.4, Berry Red
pethier [at] comcast [dot] net
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier