[TR] TR6 stalling at idle

Benjamin Zwissler bjzwissler at gmail.com
Sat May 26 19:16:03 MDT 2012

You might be right, and you're on the right track, but my guess is the fuel
is boiling (or nearly) in the bowls themselves.  Check your float level
setting and if its not at the highest end of the specified range (making
for lowest fuel level in the bowl) set it there or maybe even a little
higher (lower bowl fuel level) if the setting it at the extreme end of the
range doesn't work.  If you change it much you may have to readjust your
jets to correct the mixture, a lower level in the bowl will mean a leaner
mixture.  Lowering the level in the bowl makes it harder for the fuel to
run run up through the jet and into the manifold.  Also, you could look at
replacing your carb insulating mounts with some of the newer ones
advertised to be better insulators than the old ones.  I had a friend who
did this with good results.

I've had this problem more with Strombergs than SUs (my experiences is on
TR4As), maybe the separate bowl on the SUs stays cooler, but don't really
know.  Regardless, if this doesn't work you're on the right track of
reducing heat to the fuel/carbs.

Ben......

Quoted Message: