[TR] K & N air filters

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat May 19 17:45:51 MDT 2012

> +you certainly inferred at the least.

Ok, it's obvious you haven't been paying attention.  I said their
advertising was not false, you're the one that said it was.  They simply
don't claim that their filter removes more dirt (or even as much dirt) as
other filters.  They do claim they flow more air, and as I stated, I believe
that is true.  The test results I linked to showed the same thing.

Your arguments that clean air is not important don't seem persuasive to me
either.  I have seen a brand new Chevy 350 that was burning oil badly after
only 1000 miles or so through the western USA (Pike's Peak to Iowa City, IA)
with no air filter.  My current 350 with a good paper element filter is not
smoking at all after some 250,000 miles in similar conditions (and in spite
of all the sand damage).  It does make a difference.

(Mine leaks more than I would like, just like my Triumphs, but I still get
over 2000 miles to the quart and no visible smoke.  It also passes smog test
every time, which would be impossible if it was burning any significant
amount of oil.)

BTW, what exactly is your connection to K&N?  My only connection is to a
major world-wide agricultural equipment manufacturer (Deere), who uses
mostly paper element filters in conjunction with various kinds of
prefilters.  Cost is relatively unimportant but long life is a major selling
point, so I have to believe that, if their engines would last longer with
K&N (or even produce more power with the same lifetime), they would be using
them.  But I have nothing to do with air filter selection (or anything else
relating to powertrain for that matter).

I'm done flogging this thread.  If you want to believe that K&N filters
remove more dirt, go right ahead.  I won't agree until I see some evidence
that they do.

-- Randall