[TR] K & N air filters

spook01@comcast.net spook01 at comcast.net
Sat May 19 15:55:58 MDT 2012

I am not claiming they are lying about their filtration claims. You should report them if you truly think they are engaging in false advertising.
We all know you can hook a filter up sufficiently fine to stop micro particles.  You could put a hepafilter on the car.
You would have fewer particles for the half hour before it filled up.
So what?  Not a good filter.
The only study I'm conversant with is one conducted by Professor Frank Chambers.  He studied design of filters, boundary layer flow, etc.  Interesting reading on a long overnight.
Some (operative word) paper filters may take out smaller particles at the cost of lower air flow volume and shorter service life than wetted cotton media filters.  Maybe.
You are obviously emotionally invested in your opinion on paper filters; fair enough.
But you must acknowledge there is a tradeoff in filtration, as in all things.
The 5 micron coarse size particle used in SAE tests has little effect on engine wear.
Engines went for years with NO air filtration system.  Thousands of miles.
The filters on the TR3-4's were mere oil wetted coarse steel wool.  They were washed out and re oiled.  I think we can safely say they passed larger particles than do ANY current filter.
Did the engines need re building every 10,000 miles?  Of course not.
To put this  all in perspective, a oil filter traps particles between 10 and 15 microns.
So, we worry about trapping bits one third the size of the things rattling around in the oil system?
You must trade particle entrapment with air flow volume sustainability, and service life.
I've seen 11.4 HP on the dyno merely with a switch to a wetted cotton matrix filter.  That was a 5 liter v-8.
My guess is that one might gain 2 HP on these cars with a k&n simply because the early filters have such little resistance.  Every little bit helps!
But to claim the k&n company is defrauding people by producing useless and inferior filters, as some have done on this list, is irresponsible at the very least.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Phone