[TR] K & N air filters

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Fri May 18 18:09:17 MDT 2012

On 5/18/12 7:16 AM, Geo Hahn wrote:
> The one I just got appears to be oiled...
>
> http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc499/Ahwahnee18/VW/KN.jpg
>
> Not for a TR... I prefer to not use them on those engines but for my rear
> engine vehicle that sees a lot of dusty mountain roads I thought it might
> make good sense.

Say what????????????

For an off road vehicle your #1 choice should be an oil bath filter.

Your #2 choice should be a spinning prefilter in front of a paper filter
(think Donaldson earth mover 2 stage filter systems)
Your #3 choice a box of paper filters
Your last choice before no filter would be an oiled foam filter such as
a K&N. A k&N will filter out low flying birds, rocks, gum wrappers,
small children, but not fine dust.  Them folks who get paid to race off
road with K&N filters completely rebuild the engine after each race.
Breaths really well but foam filters do not filter out fine dust. You
can use one as a first stage to a 2 stage filter system but they are not
as good as the spinner 2 stage systems.

Teriann
TR3 with itg oiled foam filter
Land Rover with Donaldson 2 stage earth mover type filter system