[TR] winshield "tape"

Frank Fisher yellowtr3 at yahoo.com
Fri May 18 09:34:15 MDT 2012

gary
i silicone sealed mine and my buddies in place.
here is how i did it.
cut pieces of electrical tape 3/4" long.
i positioned them on the edge of the
glass so that 1/4" was on the front, 1/4" wrapped around the edge and the
other 1/4 was on the back.
i placed 5 across the top and bottom and 2 up the
sides.
i kept adding layers of tape until the thickness was just an easy but
tight fit into the frame.
then clean the inside and edges of glass with
lacquer thinner.
assemble the frame around the glass and center the glass in
the frame.
check that the top tenex wont interfere and the side screws wont
touch.
apply masking tape in a few areas so that the glass wont move in the
frame now.
for ease of clean up later, i wiped the frame carefully on the
outside with a tiny amount of polishing wax.
i then pumped black silicone
caulking into the joint between the glass and the frame.
when caulking the
correct method is to "push" the caulk bead, not pull it.
by that i mean when
you place the caulking gun at the joint you will have it laying back at about
30 degrees to the surface. when you start to pump the caulking out of the gun
the bead of caulk will be behind the way you are moving the gun. if you look
only at the tip of the caulk you will see a little bubble form. the trick to
caulking is to keep that little bubble the same the whole time you are pushing
the caulk. those of us who have been in glazing for a while can push a bead
that requires no clean up. you will probably make a mess.
don't try to clean
up the mess. wait 2 days and then clean off with a sharp razor..carefully so
as not to scratch the glass.
the frame you waxed will let the sealant peal off
by hand.

after 2 days you can flip the frame over and do the other side.

you should use a good quality silicone sealant. you cant get good quality at
the box stores, they are all siliconized.
best stuff is Dow 795 or tremco
silpruf. can be obtained in tubes from crlawrence.com
i have a tube at home
that has about 3 months of shelf life left that i probably wont use. im happy
to ship it to you if you decide to go this way.
Frank