[TR] Towing a TR3A without a trailer/dolly

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon May 14 14:31:55 MDT 2012

Likely you've already thought of this, but JIC: the TR gearbox will not
lubricate itself properly when being towed.  Short distances and low speeds
are OK, but I would disconnect the driveshaft for over 40 miles or so, or
freeway speeds for any distance.

Personally, I think it's a bad idea.  I used to flat-tow a FWD Chevy (which
didn't have the lubrication problem).  It towed well enough on average, but
had a tendency for the front wheels to get jammed against one lock when
pulling through driveways (leaving a gas station, for example).  And it had
positive caster, unlike a TR3A.  Also, after towing it that way for a few
years, I discovered that the front crossmember was broken through.  I don't
know if that had anything to do with the towing, but it seems suspicious to
me.

Combined with the hassle of disconnecting and reconnecting the driveshaft,
not to mention the hassle and modifications to hook up the lights to your
motorhome, a tow dolly or trailer seems like a wise investment to me.

Don't know if it's still true, but Joe A. used to have a local fabricator
who would make a custom TR trailer for a very reasonable price.  I would
have bought one myself, but don't have any place to store it (and the
motorhome is gone, partially for the same reason).

-- Randall