[TR] Interesting Cam Condition

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Mon May 14 07:20:54 MDT 2012

On 5/14/12 5:12 AM, Peter Arakelian wrote:
> There is a ZDDP assembly paste available, too...
> Also, the pitting is a clear sign of breakdown as the matrix that is formed in
> hardening breaks down from lack of ZDDP.

Pitting.  That is why the cams and lifters were replaced in both of my
cars year before last.  I discovered high quality name brand oil is only
good for roller cams. Since then I always read the label and don't buy
it unless it mentions that it is formulated to protect flat lifter
cams.  Now I'm getting name brand oil stating "not legal for street
use"  which means I have to stay after those leaks to keep oil off the
street.;)

And I have picked up oils who's brands I hardly recognize if at all that
are clearly more expensive than normal name brand stuff just because it
says it has ZDDP added for flat tappet engines.

My pocket book does not want to take the hit of replacing cams, lifters,
+ timing chain, gears & tensioner (because they wear & this is the best
time to replace them) on two cars at the same time for a long time.

Teriann