[TR] What should I look for in a good welding helmet?

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Wed May 2 19:17:42 MDT 2012

Several thoughts. I never thought I would have an auto-darkening shield but
a gift is a gift. They do work great, especially if you are under a piece of
equipment and there just isn't room to flip the whole shield up and down. I
have found that the models with an on/off switch can be a nuisance. If not
used after 10 minutes, they automatically shut off and that is a real
dazzling experience when you strike the arc.  Make sure to get one with
adjustable shade - maybe 9 through 12. Some of the auto-darkening assemblies
have a small viewing field - similar to the older 2 x 4.25 size shields.
Those may be difficult for those with glasses, especially bi-focals. I used
to use, and still do at times, a traditional shield with the 4.5x5.25 size
plate. Sometimes that extra field of vision is real helpful. Another thing I
noticed with auto-darkening shields is that the sensitivity can vary with
distance. I resisted using them in my welding class at school because the
shields would not darken if you looked at an arc more than 5 feet distant.
That scared me! But that is probably not an issue in your own shop. You also
can get an auto-darkening insert if you already have a 4.5x5.25 plate size
shield. Somebody else mentioned that a comfortable, light design is
important - absolutely true. Also, purchase a shield for which you can get
replacement head bands. I still prefer to buy welding supplies from a
welding supplier. The shield that I have is an ARC ONE made in Taunton Mass.
In a recent survey, more than 98% of the respondents suggested that your
eyes are important to protect!

Alex Thomson