[TR] License Plate Brackets for TR3s?

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sat Mar 31 07:59:32 MDT 2012

In a message dated 3/31/2012 12:19:41 AM Central Daylight Time,
don.hiscock at gmail.com writes:
> My TR3B (TSF202L) had an odd bracket mounted to the spare tire cover when
> got it in 1981.  A piece of stamped steel shaped sort of like a channel
> with a flattened section in the middle.  The two bolts holding it to the
> panel are closer spaced than license plate holes, and it has two slotted
> holes spaced farther apart that do match up to the plate.
>
> Here's an image:
> http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-RbBVvNr/0/XL/i-RbBVvNr-XL.jpg
>
> I haven't seen another one quite like this.  There's probably a reason for
> that -- it really doesn't work that well.  Awkward to mount plates onto
> it.
> As TSF202L comes back on the road over the next month I'm considering
> options for mounting the plate to the rear.  One of the best suggestions
> so
> far (thanks, Tom) is to drill four holes in the panel, insert rubber
> grommets, and bolt the plate directly.
>
> Any other good ideas?  Anyone else see that goofy bracket before?

Maybe mine is not factory but my car came with the plate bolted directly to
the spare tire cover.  The holes were properly spaced for a US plate.  I
mounted it using stainless steel truss-head screws and 1/8 inch thick nylon
spacers.  Come see it at the Easter car show at the Muny lot.

Dave Massey, St. Louis