[TR] TR4 Generator Electrical Arcing

pbrandsema at triad.rr.com pbrandsema at triad.rr.com
Fri Mar 30 11:15:36 MDT 2012

Has anyone had an experience with the generator (sorry, dynamo..) on a TR4, where electrical arcing was visible at the rear of the unit?  I wouldn't have noticed this ordinarily, but I happened to have the bonnet up last night to rev the engine and found that the higher the revs, the more arcing I see inside the back of the generator.  What also helped is that I had turned most of the lights off in the garage to keep the bugs from swarming in.  Besides a total failure of the charging system, my biggest fear is that if for some reason I had a fuel leak, the arc would not be a good thing.

Is this a sign of worn brushes?  I've always considered converting to an alternator, but don't have the time (or money) right now and the car has to be ready for a trip in 2 weeks.  Brushes are cheap and should be easy to replace.  I just don't want to waste the time that it will take to order them if it's something more serious.

Thanks
Paul
61 TR4