[TR] rear main oil seal

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 28 21:51:45 MDT 2012

Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 20:28:40 -0400
From: Anthony Cascio
<allegrorover at mac.com>
Subject: [TR] Fwd: rear main oil seal

Begin forwarded
message:

> From: Anthony Cascio <allegrorover at mac.com>
> Subject: rear main
oil seal
> Date: March 27, 2012 8:26:12 PM EDT
> To: Undisclosed-recipients:
<>;
> Cc: Anthony Cascio <allegrorover at mac.com>
>
> list, I know this has been
discussed many times over BUT, a friend of mine
is restoring a TR2 and when he
had the engine rebuilt he did NOT install
either of the new type rear main oil
seals.
> Now that he has started the car it of course leaks
> Is it possible
to install the newest type seal (the one that doesn't require
crankshaft
modification) by dropping the pan and the rear bearing?????
> I would like to
help him out as he has devoted a lot of time to this
restoration and it seems
ashamed not to try and fix the leak.
> Thanks
>
> Tony Cascio
Hi Tony!
I've just got finished
installing the Christian Marx Seal (CMS) this winter & made modifications to
the original CMS set up. I have (so far) only started up the Garage Queen (GQ=
TR4A) several times to check out several modifications that I have made to the
GQ.
EX- Modifying the CMS, changing the Close Breathing System (BS) to an
Open BS to a an Open/Close BS, along with the Toyota tranny/Center Dash
support , etc. I'm still work out the bugs of these changes, BUT I can say
that my modifications to the CMS has proven to NO OIL Leak!The only Oil Leak I
have seen, right now, is a drip (that hasn't landed 'yet' from the Sump Pan
drain stop.

In the attachment is a future insert for my "Cosmo's TR4/A
E-mail Repair Manual" Up date. If you have ANY questions, then PLEASE E-mail
me & I shall do my best to answer them. BTW- Bob M. had pointed out to me to
shorten the Fly Wheel mounting bolts to make sure that they do NOT touch the
CMS. I shall include those pictures also in the #2 attachment.

BTW- To
answer your main question of installing the CMS while the engine is in the
car. I would say that I guess you could but I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST DOING
THAT!I feel that you might not do as good a job & it would end up being a
waist of time & money. BUT you do as you wish because it's your car.
-Cosmo
Kramer

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/vnd]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of 01.26.12-D 013 Shorting FW Bolts.JPG]