[TR] TR2/3 static timing.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Mar 28 14:04:17 MDT 2012

> does it matter where the vernier is set to?

As I recall, Ken's instructions were to set about 8 BTDC by measuring along
the surface of the front pulley from the hole at TDC.  If you are using that
method, I suggest setting the vernier to the center of its range first.  It
doesn't affect the timing you are setting, but that gives you the maximum
range for tweaking the timing later on.

But if you are following the book directions to set the timing directly to
TDC (using the hole) and then advance by 4 degrees, then I would set the
vernier to 4 or 6 degrees retarded first; so again it will be close to
center when you are done.

By far the most important thing is to be sure the engine does not ping
(knock, predetonate, whatever you want to call it) under any normal
condition.  The vernier is really handy because if you do hear pinging (say
when you are stuck in traffic and underhood temps are pushing 200F), you can
pull over and back off by a degree.

-- Randall