[TR] Fwd: rear main oil seal

tr3abobm77 at frontier.com tr3abobm77 at frontier.com
Wed Mar 28 09:33:13 MDT 2012

Anthony,

I assume you are talking about the Christian Marx seal. The flywheel has to be
off to get to the bolts for the stock seal so it can be machined or replaced
with one that has already been machined for the new seal. So that means
pulling the tranny at the very least. You may be able to finagle the new parts
around the crank without pulling the crank but I didn't do mine that way so I
don't know for sure. My engine was upside down on an engine stand when I did
mine a year ago. By most accounts you are supposed to use an alignment tool to
center the aluminum parts so the crank has to be out for that anyway. You
could probably leave the engine in the car. When I tried to use the alignment
tool I found that once I snugged down the bearing bolts there was absolutely
no slack in the scroll seal anyway and that is the way it came from the
factory. So the tool made no difference. I recently intalled the Eaglegate
Toyota transmission kit and had the flywheel off to change the pilot bushing
and everything was dry there so I know the Marx seal works. I have pictures of
that at www.photobucket.com/bobtr3atranny if anyone cares to look. Good luck
on the seal. Cosmo Kramer is also doing the Marx seal so he may have an
update.

Bob Maassel
Fort Wayne
TS39869L