[TR] TR 2/3 steering boot - another question.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Mar 27 18:49:29 MDT 2012

> I have a 5/8" hole right beside the larger
> steering column hole in the bulkhead.

I think someone said this already, so I'm seconding: It's the mounting point
for the blanking plate (when the steering column is on the other side).  I
believe it would have had a rubber plug on the steering side, but I'm not
certain of that.  There is a metal clip that goes in the hole on the
non-steering side and then a screw with funky threads that goes into the
clip to secure the plate and gasket.

Actually, the boot I got most recently covered the entire hole when pressed
up against the firewall/bulkhead.  But it didn't last very long and is a
real PITA to replace on an early car with the solid steering column.  So I
left the remains in place, and fabricated a secondary seal to go inside the
bulkhead.

-- Randall