[TR] Thoughts on "Silverstar High Performance Lighting" bulbs?

Andrew S. Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 11:28:25 MDT 2012

 Replies to my question:

George: It depends on the lenses in front of the lamp. With no lens, they may
be
emitting more light.

If you put a clear lens in front of them, they're probably just as
bright. However, a red or amber lens blocks blue light, reducing the
output. In this case a yellower lamp works better.

Don Hiscock: All marketing hype, IMO. The basic principle is that filters work
by
subtracting light. A dichroic filter to make the light bluer (and
hence whiter by their definition) does it by subtracting yellow- and
red-shaded light, not by adding more blue light.

So it's quite possble to be 15% whiter and lower brightness overall.
Seems almost unavoidable.

 Thanks, George and Don. What you say makes sense. So maybe if I use the 1157s
in the front side-flasher lamps, and revert to the original white/clear lens
while I'm at it, I won't have completely wasted my money? Sigh....

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us