[TR] More on the drive shaft

Andrew S. Mace zoboherald at aol.com
Fri Mar 23 16:53:11 MDT 2012

 Dave noted:

>Far be it from me to get in the way of your malty beverage but there may be
>many reasons for a sliding joint in the drive shaft on an IRS car.  One may
>be the fact that the engine/trans and the diff are both mounted with
>compliant (rubber) mounts.  Another is that if the shaft length were fixed
the
>length would have to be more accurate.  With a sliding joint it only needs to
>be able to adjust the actual distance wetwen the two ends.  Another reason
>may be that it is the same shaft they've been using all along so why change?

 ====
Good reasoning, particularly with the torque of the bigger TR engines (4 or
6). Most Heralds did not have a sliding joint in the propshaft, but some did,
as did most of the 6-cyl. Vitesse/Sports 6 variants. Same with the GT6.

If nothing else, having the sliding joint (and having it function) sure makes
it easier to remove said propshaft. I used to have a lot of fun huffing and
puffing and levering on things to get solid Herald propshafts out. :(

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er, Triumph
Herald engine with wings.

Triumph 10 / Herald / Sports 6 vehicle consultant, The Vintage Triumph
Register: http://www.vtr.org

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph Herald
Database: http://triumph-herald.us