[TR] More on the drive shaft

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Mar 23 16:11:30 MDT 2012

Far be it from me to get in the way of your malty beverage but there may be
many reasons for a sliding joint in the drive shaft on an IRS car.  One may
be the fact that the engine/trans and the diff are both mounted with
compliant (rubber) mounts.  Another is that if the shaft length were fixed the
length would have to be more accurate.  With a sliding joint it only needs to
be able to adjust the actual distance wetwen the two ends.  Another reason
may be that it is the same shaft they've been using all along so why change?

Cheers.

Dave