[TR] Carburretor Dashpot oil

Carl Sereda carlsereda at aol.com
Wed Mar 21 12:29:28 MDT 2012

Interestingly - the Triumph TR4 & TR4A Factory Manual (pub. 1967) specifies
20wt for Winter and 30wt for Summer, for carburettor dashpots in the British
Isles.
For 'Overseas' it simply states - use appropriate current single grade oil in
dashpots [which may be tied into their engine recommendations of; Below 10B0
(degrees F.) use 10wt oil, Between 10B0-40B0 use 20wt, Between 40B0-70B0 use
30wt., over 70B0 use 40wt.]
I've been using  straight 20wt oil out of 3inOne's 'Blue Can' - but 20-50wt
might be the way to go.. going to try it first chance I get!

Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

My factory manual is quite specific on using 20W/50 engine oil for both
Strombergs and SU. I've experimented in the past with various oils and grades
but always returned to 20/50.

Jonmac