[TR] Rebuilding SU HS-6 carbs

Dave Connitt dconnitt at fuse.net
Sat Mar 17 22:27:48 MDT 2012

Hi List,
I spent the day starting the rebuild of the HS-6 carbs on my TR4A. I have one
apart and pretty much cleaned up. I have to send both of them off to get the
throttle shafts rebushed and I am thinking about replacing the butterflies
which have some type of anti-runon vavle in them with straight butterflies.
Those valves almost completely block half of the throttle area.
One thing I wanted to ask the list was that I am also considering getting
either the Eastwood or Caswell  metal blackening kit to coat all the screws,
springs, and brackets so they don't rust. Has anybody used either of these
kits to coat bare steel parts?
I ended up cleaning all the parts ultrasonically first, then the outside with
glass beads, and finally using walnut shells. The final finish looks pretty
good. I am not a big fan of the polished look.

I updated my website with the progress so far if anybody is interested..
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a

Go to Check my progress. There is a link there to the carb rebuilding page.

I hope to get the other carb apart and cleaned tomorrow.
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A IRS