[TR] Figure 8 Gaskets

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Mar 16 01:38:42 MDT 2012

> One thing I don't understand.  When I pulled the head to do
> my engine rebuild, cylinders one and two were flush with the
> block, that is not standing proud like the others.
> How can that be?  The figure 8 gaskets are steel and not
> crushable, right?

Anything will crush, if you get enough force on it.

But the steel fig-8 gaskets have a plastic coating that can crush easier
than the steel; and I actually prefer the copper fig-8 gaskets (which also
crush more easily).  Might also be that the gasket isn't "crushed" but the
liners are stuck in the block so badly that they are holding the gasket in
compression.

Or it may be that those two liners are slightly short for whatever reason.
I found a set once (made in India as I recall) where they were all about
.003" shorter than they should have been.

Or the seats in the block may be too low.  I've had two TR motors in a row
now where the block deck is not parallel to the liner seats, so the
protrusion is different depending on which side you measure.

-- Randall