[TR] Erratic Speedometer

Hdefer tr3 at roadrunner.com
Thu Mar 15 21:58:15 MDT 2012

My TR3 speedometer  whips at low speed, steadies out mid range and
then becomes erratic around 60 mph. I replaced the cable, routed it
exactly same way as the original , but the problem remained. I
suspect it is still a cable problem.
I read somewhere that lubricating with oil or other liquid is bad as
the factory carbon lubricant may migrate with it upwards into the
speedometer bearings which is harmful in the long run.
Is the speedometer the more likely culprit? Has anyone serviced one?
Could lack of damping with age be a problem?

Hans, 61TR3A