[TR] Back Washing the heater

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 15 09:36:25 MDT 2012

Hi List!
I want to thank everyone who replied to this thread. I did do this
job, & I'd like to give you the detailed follow up.

1- I took a discarded
garden hose (GH) & cut the Female end about 18" long. Inserted a 1"  length of
plastic tube (ID-1/2", OD-5/8") on the lower Bulkhead heater fitting. (the one
used for the exit heating hose to the back of the engine's water tube).
2- I
then cut the male end of this GH to about 20'. I did the same thing with the
plastic tube as before(because the GH's ID=5/8") & installed it on the output
Bulkhead Heater fitting (using the car's hose clamps), & ran it down the
engine bay, under the car, & out of the garage.
3- I then mixed up a batch of
baking soda (about 5 oz.) into a qt. bottle of hot water. I raised the GH
outside end, attached to the car's heater, above the height of the car. I then
poured the mixture into the female end of the car's heater hose fitting & let
it sit for about 2 1/2 hr.
4- Lowering the outside (male end) to the ground
(where I would be able to view the exported material), & I connecting the
house GH to the Female end, that was attached to the car's heat. I cracked the
house outside faucet to view the old green coolant to then turn clear
(Meanwhile I had my grand daughter looking under the dash at the heater to let
me know of any leaks that might happen.) No crud came out (as I expected).
5-
I then increased the opening house water faucet to the point of a steady
5/8"stream coming onto the driveway for about 1 min. ( Remembering that the
cooling system is normally kept at 7# of pressure.)
6- I turned off the house
water, disconnect the house GH from the GH attached to the heater Bulkhead
fitting, & let it drained until the flow stopped.
7- I disconnected the hoses
from the car & attached the car's heater hoses, in the correct location,
followed by installing the record radiator.
-Cosmo Kramer