[TR] British car keys, letters ​? FNR Possibly Ford/N?/Rootes? MRN.. Morris/Rootes/Numbered?

Pete Groh pete_groh at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 13 11:39:00 MDT 2012

I received a inquiry from Nick in the UK and also exchanged e-mail with Peter
Weston.
Can anyone provide information on the different key codes. The 1st car key
blank that I know of was a Bilfix key, that was cut along the side of the key
blank.

I will also post the question to the MG and Jaguar list

Pete GrohB    (KeyGuy)

	 Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Nick
Walton

Hi Pete thanks thats
really good info... however, I get
the impression they want to know exactly
what eg FNR stood for.
Possibly Ford/N?/Rootes? MRN...
Morris/Rootes/Numbered?
Do you see
where I am coming from?

Many thanks for what you have, if I
can find out more I will put it into a
document and froward it to the
paper if thats ok with you?

Nick

Pete, Nick,

Funny old world, isn't it! B The person who
wrote to the local paper - Express
& Star - was, wait for it, me!
I write a monthly column about locks for the magazine Classic Car
Monthly, and
in the last issue I speculated about the possible
derivation of the various
alphabetical-series of old WB keys. B For
instance, I joked that maybe 'FNR'
stood for Fred, Norman and Ron,
forgotten chaps in the drawing office.

I wrote to the local
paper hoping someone from the old Josiah Parkes company
might see it,
but so far no answers have been forthcoming.

Thanks for trying
to help, however,

regards,
Peter W