[TR] Back washing the heater

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Mar 11 11:44:23 MDT 2012

> 1- Does this method of flushing
> the heater mounted inside the GQ sound correct?

Should work fine.

> 2- Should I increase the
> water flow (thus increasing the water pressure)

I would.  A stronger flow will pick up more crud and flush it out.

> IF I do increase the water pressure, then how much? (1/4 turn?)

Unfortunately, that is the tricky part. Both the pressure behind the faucet
and how far the faucet opens for 1/4 turn can vary quite a bit.  All I can
suggest is to monitor the flow from the outlet hose, and open the faucet in
small increments only until the flow is about pencil-sized or a bit larger.

> 4- Does
> anyone, suggest a better way of cleaning the heater, while
> it's inside the GQ?

I might be tempted to just leave it alone for now, put the car back
together, and then flush it as part of the semi-annual cooling system
maintenance.  After all, you say it was working fine; and any sediment
inside will likely get flushed through into the lower radiator tank, where
it will come out when you change coolant.

That also opens up the option of letting your local radiator shop do the
flush.  They usually have a tool that uses a mixture of water and
low-pressure compressed air, that is more effective at flushing than just
water.

-- Randall