[TR] Back washing the heater

Cosmo Kramer tr4a2712 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 20:56:57 MST 2012

Hi List!
I know this was talked about on the list before, but I don't recall a
specific method.

I would like to backwash my TR4A heater. It works fine but
I never 'back washed' it when it was inside the car from the restoration
completed back in 1998. I do recall that many people said not to use a lot of
pressure when trying to clean it.

I was thinking of attaching a cut garden
hose (Female end) to the lower outlet on the bulkhead by the hose clamp used
on the heater hose. Then hose clamping the hoes to the top bulkhead outlet &
let the 15' end hang down on the ground & under the Garage Queen (GQ) out the
back to exit out the garage. Attach the male end of the garden hose, to the
female end of the top bulkhead attached hose, & then turn on the water flow
"VERY LOW" (just cracking the water faucet) until I see water starts to
trickle down the driveway.

My questions are:
1- Does this method of flushing
the heater mounted inside the GQ sound correct?

2- Should I increase the
water flow (thus increasing the water pressure) after the present water has
been flowing onto the driveway, for a period of 1 minute? (Thus giving me a
chance to check if any water is leaking in the interior of the cock pit.)

3-
IF I do increase the water pressure, then how much? (1/4 turn?)

4- Does
anyone, suggest a better way of cleaning the heater, while it's inside the GQ?
-Cosmo Kramer