[TR] soldering

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 13:01:32 MST 2012

There's a school of thought that crimped connectors are better than
soldered connections with respect to vibration and mechanical
intergrity.  Discussions over the last year or two on another forum
dealing with expedition and overland travel has included a discussion
that crimped is prefered by OEM for this reason.

I dunno.  It's a lot more work to solder, fershure.  I've done both
soldered and crimped over the years and both methods have worked fine.
 A nice crimping tool is almost worth the money just to see how fast
and well it does the job.

A very good professional mechanic I know does both.  Pre-tins the
wire, crimps the connector, and then applies a touch of heat to
re-flow the solder.

Don
1962 TR3B