[TR] soldering

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Mar 4 12:22:51 MST 2012

In a message dated 3/4/2012 12:55:36 PM Central Standard Time,
TR3driver at ca.rr.com writes:
> FWIW, I find that much easier if I gently clamp the wire in the bench
> vise,
> so the bullet is resting on top of the vise jaws.  That way I can rest the
> tip of the iron on top of the bullet, in the slight vee formed by the flat
> tip of the bullet and the wire sticking out.  Reading glasses help too.
> The
> increased pressure between gun tip and bullet helps transfer heat, while
> the
> bullet resting on the jaws helps keep the bottom end cooler (so less
> likely
> to melt the PVC insulation).

When that is an option.  In my case I was soldering bullets on the brake
and tail light wires of the harness already installed in the car with the
wires sticking out the lamp holes.  I could have removed the harness and done it
in the vace but I opted for what appeared to be the easier route when
setting out.

General comment: the other route is to buy the crimpers and the crimp style
bullets which makes the whole precess much easier.  But if you're only
doing a couple and if your cheap like me...

Dave