[TR] Recalcitrant TR3B Engine

Jonas Payne JPayne at ThorCon.net
Sun Mar 4 10:42:46 MST 2012

Symptoms sound very familiar.

Verify that your intake manifold is seated squarely on the head.  It is very
easy to have a gap at the bottom that would prevent vacuum.  It is also very
difficult to see from the top and everything will look fine.

I was stumped by this once, and had the same thing happen again years later on
a head gasket replacement, and after 10 minutes, identified the same problem.
If it happened to me 2 out of 8 times I've had the manifolds off of a TR3,
either I'm an idiot, or it's a common problem.  Other than that, check vacuum
and make sure you have it.

Jonas Payne
PBR
Cell:   (702) 358-5084

-----Original Message-----
From: triumphs-bounces at autox.team.net [mailto:triumphs-bounces at autox.team.net]
On Behalf Of John Walker
Sent: Sunday, March 04, 2012 8:08 AM
To: triumphs at autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Recalcitrant TR3B Engine

List,

I have reached the point in the restoration of TR-3B TS68368 where the engine
should run, but I cannot get it started. After engine rebuild, including new
pistons and liners, I have verified following:

1. Fuel:
  a. Rebuilt cards
  b. Fuel supply to carbs good
  c. Float bowls full
  d. Carb needle settings - tried 10 to 13 flats 2. Valve train
  a. Verified valve timing - # 1 cylinder valves both closed at TDC
  b. Verified valve gaps set to .012
3. Ignition
  a. Timing verified as correct with visual check of rotor position at #1
cylinder TDC.
  b. Plugs getting spark.
  c. Verified firing order.
  d. Replaced electronic ignition with points & condenser
  e. Point gap set to  .013.
  f. Engine fires strongly when starter fluid sprayed into carbs which
indicates that the ignition system is working properly.

What have I missed? Incidentially, this block also has "TR 3" painted on the
left side in orange. I elected not to paint the block to preserve this
original marking.

TIA,

John W

** triumphs at autox.team.net **