[TR] Transmission Temporary Locks In Neutral

John Finlayson john_finlayson at telus.net
Thu Jun 28 21:19:35 MDT 2012

I have a '62 TR4 in which I have installed a TR6 transmission with A type
overdrive.

Very intermittently after shifting out of a gear I will find that I can't get
out of neutral into the gear I am intending to shift into, or to any forward
gear including the one I just came out of. This can occur when the car is
stopped or in motion.

I can be at a traffic light waiting in neutral for the light to change. When
the light changes I find I can't engage any forward gear. After trying
repeatedly to select a gear and engaging and disengaging the clutch I have so
far eventually been able to get the transmission "unlocked" and shifted into a
gear. The same applies when the car is in motion and when I am either up or
down shifting.

I don't recall overdrive ever being engaged when this occurs although it's
possible it may have been on some occasions.

There is no grinding of gears when this occurs. The shifter doesn't get even
close to selecting a gear. When I try to select a gear, I can freely move the
shifter laterally in neutral but not up or down to select any forward gear.The
shift lever feels like it is physically blocked from moving up or down....I
have not yet tried to select reverse when this occurs, just haven't thought to
try reverse.

These are infrequent events and have occurred since since the transmission was
installed a year or so ago. Their frequency and the effort required to get a
gear has increased recently, however. It happened three times on a ~30 mile
drive I took last week....twice while stopped at lights and once while gearing
down from 4th to 3rd while on the highway. I wasn't successful in getting it
into gear till after I had stopped.

Any suggestions on what the problem is would be greatly appreciated.

John Finlayson