[TR] dum dum

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Jun 26 05:54:21 MDT 2012

I use it profusely.  My TR6 windshield leaked like a sieve.  I found that
although the seal on the top was doing its job and sealing up against the
aluminum finisher just fine the seal between the aluminum finisher and the
windshield frame had failed.  After replacing the dum dum there the leaks
disappeared.

I used calk at the rear fender seams (before I bought my supply of dum dum)
to stop the water from wicking up at that joint.  But more importantly I
painted everything including the inner fenders and all the mating surfaces.
This is not what I would call a controlled experiment but I have no evidence
of rust at the seams after 16 years.  The seam at the rear scuttle is a
perfect storm for rust.  It is a three layer sandwich of steel and water is free
to infiltrate, normally.  I attacked the problem by painting the flanges
and all surfaces that are not exposed after assembly with a couple layers of
rattlecan paint and sealed the joint to block out water and so far, so good.

I painted the inside surfaces on the front fenders, too since they get wet
no matter what you do.

Dum dum is great stuff and available at any autobody supply.  Ask for "Dum
Dum."  I've used rope window calk and although it will work in a pinch and
is available at your local hardware store it doesn't have the same adhesive
properties as dum dum.  Use the dum dum.  You'll thank your self later.

Dave