[TR] Testing ignition coil: what am I doing wrong????

spamiam at comcast.net spamiam at comcast.net
Sun Jun 17 07:48:51 MDT 2012

Dave

>btw - coils rarely go bad.

I agree.  Testing the coil is actually part of a bigger testing process.
The problem I am trying to solve is the lack of a spark on my TR7.  It has a
Delco distributor with the oddball Delco HEI ignition system.  The car has
been acting as if it has a weak spark, and I tested the spark with the spark
gap tester.  I got no spark.  So I tested the HEI system and found it had
good power and good ground.  I have no good way to test the reluctor in the
distributor (not that I know of, anyway), so I replaced the 4-pin ignition
module with a new spare.  Still no spark.

So, I figured it could be the HEI coil or the reluctor.  To prove which, I
wanted to swap the HEI coil with a regular 12V coil, but the HEI coil is
mounted with very short leads to the Delco electronic ignition unit.

So, I decided to hook up the old HEI ignition module to a normal 12 volt
coil separately.  The module got mounted on a big heatsink, and the B
terminal got +12v and also went to the (+) terminal of the 12V coil.  The C
terminal went to the (-) terminal of the coil.  I hooked up the
distributor's wire to the appropriate W & G terminals on the module.  When
cranking the engine I got no spark from the 12V test coil either!

So I decided to see if I could get ANY spark from the test coil, hence my
question posted earlier in which I found no spark that way either! I will
check youtube for test procedures.

-Tony