[TR] Triumphs Digest, Vol 5, Issue 257

Carl Sereda carlsereda at aol.com
Sat Jun 16 15:27:13 MDT 2012

Brad,
The TR4/4A Factory Manual specifies .002" clearance for ball-ends on steering
rack, and has the detailed instructions. I'd say you made a
huge improvement and you're good to go. A more challenging area might be the
pinion gear, on rack. The pinion usually wears in 'driving
straight ahead' position. You can't readily toss the rack or get really good
pinions, but you can flip the pinion to opposite side where the teeth
are less worn making straight ahead driving more nuanced by reducing slop.. I
ended up buying a MossUK TR4A-6 pinion a few years ago
and was not impressed, but it is slightly better than what I had.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74