[TR] Toyota tranny conversion TR6?

Tim Gaines mtgaines at presby.edu
Tue Jun 12 09:00:18 MDT 2012

I asked for list advice on diagnosing a possible gearbox failure in
my TR6 awhile back (original post below), and after several helpful
suggestions I finally accepted that it almost certainly was the
tranny.  I'm into it now, and the damage is obvious.  For several
years I had planned a Type J overdrive installation at some point,
and I obtained the O/D unit from a Spit and a TR6 mounting plate.  I
know that there are a couple of other things I would need, and I
don't even know if the O/D unit is in good shape (it's still on the
Spit parts car in my shed!).  Now that the time has come, I've just
about decided to abandon the O/D plan in favor of the 5-speed Toyota
conversion using Herman van den Akker's kit.  It sounds like a much
easier job with the likelihood of more reliability in the future.  I
went out looking for the required Toyota tranny just to see if they
are available, and I got lucky (I think) with a solid, clean, smooth
one with 56,000 miles for $100.  I decided to buy it on the spot even
though I hadn't completely decided on getting the kit.  Now I'm at
the point of ordering the kit, but at $1675 (no shipping charge!)
this is pretty sobering decision.  I've probably missed some
discussion of this conversion on the list (sorry), but I'd like some
reassurances from those who have done it or looked into it.  I've
talked to Herman, and he seems like a very helpful, friendly guy, but
I just don't want to be surprised by something down the road that I
should have considered.

Thanks,
Tim Gaines
Clinton, SC