[TR] steering box rebuild

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Mon Jun 11 15:51:42 MDT 2012

> ...as I recall from previous discussions, the worm gear is a light press fit on the (splined) shaft and then the end of the shaft is peened over to lock the gear >  in place.  Sounds like removing the old shaft without damaging it is the hard part.

Well, for starters, I called The Roadster Factory to order a replacement worm gear.  They don't sell them.  Dave says it has to do with the liability factor for people who might DIY and mess up, then sue.  I can see their point.  Even men are named Sue in our society.

Good news, Moss Motors does carry and sell them.  I'll let my very trusted machine shop (Sanels here in Concord, NH) take off and press on.  But, since it'll be a wile for them to get to, I'll just tighten the adjustment down and manually crank hard on the steering wheel through this driving season, then rebuild the box over the winter in my--dare I say it?--newly heated garage!!!!!

Oh, one more thing.  I expect this is an apron-off enterprise, right?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire