[TR] Valve Lash Adjustment Method

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 4 16:36:48 MDT 2012

> In my case setting the
> valves at the specified 0.006" gap with the other valve for that cylinder
> open,

That doesn't work.  You have to use the "rule of 9" (for a 4-cylinder 4
stroke), meaning that with valve #8 fully open, you adjust valve #1 (8+1=9).
Even that doesn't always work for every engine (but it does for TR2-4).

> The book I'm using describes adjusting valves when the intake and
> exhaust
> are at the point of balance, at which moment you can set both valve
> lashes
> to .010.

Just for clarity, the procedure is to turn the engine until one cylinder is
"at the point of balance" (meaning both valves are open) and then adjust the
valves on the _opposite_ cylinder.  For example, on a 4-cylinder TR, turn so
#1 has both open, then adjust #4.  Then #3 with both open, adjust #2.  Then
#4 both open, adjust #1.  And finally, both open on #2, adjust #3.

> Question:  Does it make any difference?

In theory, no.  But the camshaft was bent or ground off-center, you might
find some small difference.  I've checked several of my own engines and
setting with one method always produces measurements within .001" using the
other method.  Personally, I prefer the second method (setting both valves
with the piston for that cylinder at TDC between compression and power
strokes).

-- Randall