[TR] Valve Adjustment

Roger Elliott elliottr at rmi.net
Thu Jul 26 10:44:36 MDT 2012

Hi,

I have a question about valves going out of adjustment.

Recently, I adjusted the valves on my Spitfire (two of the valves were
way out of adjustment- too large of a gap).  I then took it in to a shop
as I could not get it to run quite right.  I asked them to adjust the
carbs as I thought that was the problem.

Well in the process of dong that, he discovered that some of the valves
were way out of adjustment.  Okay I might have messed up some, but he
said they were about .1.

Now I was changing the oil and I wanted to check the rocker assembly as
I thought perhaps it was loose and allowing the gap to get larger.   All
of the nuts were tight.

But I looked at a couple of the valves and they are probably about .1 again.

It looks like the adjusters on the valves that have the big gap don't
have as much of the adjusting screw sticking out the top as the others.

What could be causing my gap to increase so much?

I recently put in new tappets that were tested for hardness.

Thanks,
Roger Elliott
1980 Spitfire