[TR] Media blasting?

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Mon Jul 23 14:10:48 MDT 2012

Tom - I use a ALC suction style sandblasting unit for farm equipment
restoration and other related tasks. The tank holds about 50 lbs. of sand
and the unit requires at least a 5 h.p. compressor. I'm talking of a 5 h.p.,
1800 rpm compressor, not one of those "5" h.p. units that have a 3600 rpm
motor with a tiny 56 size frame. First, I will say that the novelty of sand
blasting wears off very quickly! Even with a hood that has its own forced
air supply, you have to expect sand to end up everywhere! Speaking of which,
you definitely need an air supplied hood or mask. Studies indicate that
inhaling lots of silica particles is not good for one's health. I usually
buy 100 lb. bags of medium sand blast sand for about $10/bag from a masonry
supply wholesaler. Also, it is slow. Cleaning the outside of a cast iron
wood burning stove might take the better part of an hour. If you have lots
of flaky rust, that must be chipped off first. I don't have a blast cabinet
for small parts, but that might nice to have down the road. Sand blasting
small parts in a New England winter outside just doesn't work.  Also
remember, once a steel/iron object is sand blasted, it will begin to show a
film of surface rust in just hours if it is a muggy day. Be sure to close
all open windows in the area if you are blasting in the open. I'm assuming
you have a good size property that will insulate your neighbors from the
sound and dust. Others have suggested hiring out the job - that's what I
have done on big projects. Have we scared you off yet?

Alex Thomson