[TR] Ignition question (and hello!)

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 10:03:35 MDT 2012

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Malcolm <malcolm at ipatch.ca> wrote:

> This distributor is marked with service mark 40842 A, which appears to be
> a TR4A low-compression unit?

It is my understanding that the only differences among the 25D distributors
were the vacuum advances and the springs.

You may be able to make it suitable with just a spring change, but... I
think the usual vendors supply you with a bunch of springs and leave it to
you to work out which 2 are what you need (i.e. there is no packaging
marked 'TR3A springs', 'TR4 Springs', 'TR4A Springs', etc.).

There is of course equipment that can be used to set the advance curve but
since that is beyond the reach of most of us I think you can approixmate
the correct curve with some guess work, trial & error and a timing light
(with a degree dial on it).

Geo