[TR] Ignition question (and hello!)

Malcolm malcolm at ipatch.ca
Tue Jul 17 22:18:33 MDT 2012

Tonight I replaced the points (and pulled off the breaker plate to check
out the springs).

Both springs were there, but loose on their shafts.  I pinched one a bit so
it wasn't as loose, and sprayed some brake cleaner down around the weights
to try to remove some of the crud.

Also cleaned off the contact plate as best I could, which should hopefully
help the action of the vacuum advance.

This distributor should be rebuilt, but for now it is OK.  I put the (poor
quality) "new" points in, set the gap, and the car idles much better now,
running smooth at 6-700 RPM instead of 1100.

I suspect that a proper clean-out with new springs will help even more.
 This distributor is marked with service mark 40842 A, which appears to be
a TR4A low-compression unit?  Odd that it's identified for a 4A, since the
date code is clearly 162, pre-dating the 4A by some years.