[TR] tr3 starter

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jul 17 17:57:31 MDT 2012

> what bonded rubber drive would you be referring to?

On the early (pre-TS50000) starter, there is a drive piece between the
armature and the pinion shaft.  Its construction is somewhat similar to the
silentbloc pivots in the steering, with an inner and outer steel tube and
rubber between them (which is supposed to be bonded to both of them).  The
intent I assume is to provide some cushion when the spinning pinion gear
slams into the stationary ring gear.  It seems to break rather often,
especially if your engine has been modified with bigger liners and/or higher
compression but the starter will still sometimes work due to friction
between the rubber and steel.

Item N in the attached drawing (which of course won't make it through the
list) or figure 20 on page M16 of the factory workshop manual.

The problem is (was) prevalent enough that Ken Gillanders had a run made of
"fail safe" replacements that used a paddle arrangement with urethane in
compression between the paddles.  No bonds to break, and if the urethane
broke and fell out, the paddles would still turn the engine.  But I think I
got the last two of them and Ken said he had no plans to have more made.

-- Randall

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of untitled.JPG]