[TR] TR4 braking effort

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jul 16 19:19:56 MDT 2012

> I've been told by my son that my brakes are no good--too hard to
> stop. I've never thought about it myself, but maybe it is hard to
> stop.

I'll suggest a simple test:  Find a deserted stretch of road (at least no
one close behind you), then do a straight line panic stop from around 45
mph.  You should be able to lock both front wheels if you want to, then with
just a tad more pressure lock both rears as well.  If so, the brakes are
darn near perfect.  If not, the skid marks on the pavement (or lack thereof)
will tell you what needs to be fixed.

Obviously, keep your wits about you.  If the car starts to do something bad
(like pull to one side or lock one wheel), get your foot off the brake pedal
not stomp it harder.  This is also good practice for a real panic stop.

-- Randall