[TR] TR4A - First breakdown today

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 11:49:30 MST 2012

I've had 2 starters short out and both times it was the wrapping on a field
coil had worn (from decades of vibration I suppose) until a bit of the
windings finally made contact with the case or that piece of iron that
holds them in place.

On both occasions I removed the field coils and re-wrapped them with
friction tape and they have been in service for years since.

I rather like the old (huge, heavy) starters -- they're so big I can push
the start button with the gearbox in first and I have a hybrid!

Geo